Then: At 5:30 a.m. on a Tuesday, I was rattled from my sleep with an idea. The sit-up-straight-out-of-bed kind of idea. Instead of setting up shop at one French cooking school, what if I hopped around the European continent and sampled from a variety of courses in different cities and countries? That's how Culinary Hopscotch was born. Follow me on an epicurean tour of cooking schools in countries around Europe and beyond. I'll be traveling and cooking for about three months, so if you're curious about where I'm headed, just ask. Otherwise, I'll be updating my whereabouts in the Twitter section on the right. The culinary crusade starts on January 29, 2010, and I'll be doing it all in a carry-on.


Now: We live in Portland, a culinary capital in its own right. I man the stove chez nous and plan our meals weekly on a colorful pad from Anthropologie. Things have changed a bit from the old school days of Culinary Hopscotch, but it makes sense (to me) to keep it alive. Look for posts on restaurants we visit, culinary happenings in the news, what's on the menu in our kitchen, and more!

Been There, Cooked That

Friday, March 19, 2010

Sticking a Fork in It

Some of you probably noticed a little hiccup in the blog posting over the past week. That was because of an inserted trip to Dublin for St. Patrick's Day where Irish-related shenanigans briefly took my focus away from things. But I do have some bad news for my loyal readers who have relied on my writing to entertain them during boring work days...Culinary Hopscotch is getting a fork stuck in it early. 

This journey has been incredible, but it's also been incredibly expensive. As such, I'm going to have to go home earlier than I expected. The good news is that I can get a jumpstart on my book proposal. That was the real reason for this trip, and I definitely have enough material to set things in motion. 

Thank you again to everyone for the words of encouragement and for following along on this amazing adventure. I've managed to make it around Europe for close to two months solo, and I'm not even sure I've lost anything along the way...save a few pounds (for all of you naysayers out there).

To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh :( We're sad to hear that your adventure must end earlier than you expected. However, it's true that you've done an amazing trip .. and also made us jealous with all your cooking classes. So, congrats for the 2 months yummy trip! ;D

    Rosie & Arnau

    ReplyDelete