Then: At 5:30 a.m. on a Tuesday, I was rattled from my sleep with an idea. The sit-up-straight-out-of-bed kind of idea. Instead of setting up shop at one French cooking school, what if I hopped around the European continent and sampled from a variety of courses in different cities and countries? That's how Culinary Hopscotch was born. Follow me on an epicurean tour of cooking schools in countries around Europe and beyond. I'll be traveling and cooking for about three months, so if you're curious about where I'm headed, just ask. Otherwise, I'll be updating my whereabouts in the Twitter section on the right. The culinary crusade starts on January 29, 2010, and I'll be doing it all in a carry-on.


Now: We live in Portland, a culinary capital in its own right. I man the stove chez nous and plan our meals weekly on a colorful pad from Anthropologie. Things have changed a bit from the old school days of Culinary Hopscotch, but it makes sense (to me) to keep it alive. Look for posts on restaurants we visit, culinary happenings in the news, what's on the menu in our kitchen, and more!

Been There, Cooked That

Monday, February 7, 2011

"The Bold Fold"

I learned today that you don't have to fly to Brussels to find an amazing waffle. All you have to do is get on the 55, exit Chapman, turn right at the Orange Circle, and not park in a permit area. Enter: Bruxie. A friend recently changed jobs and works in the area, and turned our other friend onto Bruxie this weekend. She dragged me back there today.

Buttermilk Fried Chicken Waffle
The 15-minute drive was a full blown commercial about what I was in for. Savory and sweet waffle combinations, homemade 'pure cane' sugar sodas, and Peet's iced tea. Sold. Their menu is small, but their flavor big, and I'm disappointed that I wasn't the Magellan of this roadside waffle stand. There's no inside (or even a bathroom that I could find to wash the maple syrup from my hands), but the al fresco diner-style tables were the perfect pair to this hand food. 

For me, I went for the buttermilk fried chicken and waffle. Courtney had the bacon, egg and cheddar. And she decided we needed dessert after all that, so we shared the lemon cream and berries waffle. Oh, and the only side they have is, what else? Waffle fries. We had those too. 

Bruxie is caddy-corner to Chapman University, so don't be surprised if it's packed on the weekends or at random times throughout the day. Go stand in line though. You won't be sorry. I'll probably be there too because I now want the prosciutto and gruyere, sun-dried tomatoes and goat cheese, and if I can find the room, the s'mores waffle for dessert.


No comments:

Post a Comment